Last Updated on March 23, 2023 by Sarah Keene
Do you always suffer from jock itch? Do you use the right underwear? If not, maybe it’s time you take a second look at what type of underwear you are wearing.
If you are an athlete or a man with too much activity that makes you perspire heavily, having wedgies is nothing compared to having a fungal infection, so it is time you pick the best underwear for jock itch.
So far, we have gathered and reviewed six of the finest underwear for your needs. Find what suits you best!
- Top 3 Underwear For Jock Itch
- The Six Best Underwear For Jock Itch: Top Reviews 2022
- 1. Fruit of the Loom Men’s Breathable Underwear with Tri-Cool Technology
- 2. Adidas Men’s Sport Performance Boxer Briefs Underwear
- 3. Eyushijia Men’s 4 Pack Comfortable Bamboo Fiber Boxer Briefs
- 4. ExOfficio Men’s Give-n-go Boxer Shorts Single Pack
- 5. CLEVEDAUR Men’s Underwear 6 Inches Micro Modal Men’s Boxer Briefs
- 6. ExOfficio Give-n-go Boxer Brief
- Best Underwear For Jock Itch – Buying Guide
- What Is Jock Itch?
- Jock Itch Prevention
- Jock Itch Treatment
Top 3 Underwear For Jock Itch
1. Fruit of the Loom Men’s Breathable Underwear with Tri-Cool Technology
|#1 – Editor’s Choice
Polyester, Spandex, Cotton
3. Eyushijia Men’s 4 Pack Comfortable Bamboo Fiber Boxer Briefs
Bamboo Fiber, Spandex
The Six Best Underwear For Jock Itch: Top Reviews 2022
1. Fruit of the Loom Men’s Breathable Underwear with Tri-Cool Technology
One of the cheapest men’s underwear that can minimize your risk for jock itch is the Fruit of the Loom Breathable Underwear with Tri-Cool Technology. This boxer brief comes in three- or six-pack in assorted colors, that’s quite a bargain for a well-known brand. Unlike other boxer briefs, this breathable underwear has a mesh fabric that keeps your body cool.
The underwear is 57% cotton, 38% polyester, and 5% spandex on the body, while the mesh fabric is 91% cotton, 5% polyester, and 4% spandex.
The mid-rise boxer brief has a functional top-side fly that makes it more comfortable when peeing. It has a longer inseam compared to other boxer briefs and an advanced friction guard to prevent chafing.
- The Tri-Cool technology will keep you dry and comfortable.
- It has a moisture-wicking property that makes sweat evaporates faster.
- The support pouch makes the erection almost unnoticeable under thick pants.
- Great for men who do not want to suffer from jock itch.
- Non-dual pouch underwear.
2. Adidas Men’s Sport Performance Boxer Briefs Underwear
Did you experience wearing sneakers from Adidas and felt the comfort they provide on your feet? Well, its underwear brand will do justice to your crotch. You see, the Adidas Men’s Sport Performance Boxer Briefs are not only a performance brief, but they are also great all-day underwear.
The popular underwear has 91% polyester and 9% spandex. It comes in a pack of two with assorted mostly dark colors (except the all-white combo). The dark colors are an all-time favorite because they also cover excess fats on the thigh area.
The plush-soft tag-less waistband is thick enough to support your genitals and keep the underwear in place. It has a 5-inch inseam, which is mid-length and has smooth and non-chafing stitches. The underwear is quick-drying and will not accumulate moisture even on a workout.
- The boxer brief has a double-lined pouch for added support.
- Comes in a dozen combinations of two dark colors in each pack.
- The leg band is a no-ride construction.
- Machine washes in cool water.
3. Eyushijia Men’s 4 Pack Comfortable Bamboo Fiber Boxer Briefs
The Eyushijia Bamboo Fiber Boxer Briefs are a product of innovations in underwear. The underwear is 95% bamboo viscose and 5% spandex that makes it great for the skin. It is lightweight but durable and more breathable than any other type of material. If you like a not-so-thick waistband, this is it!
The waistband has the iconic Eyushijia print embossed noticeably. The undergarment has a functional fly with a 3D pouch design for easy bathroom use. The underwear is also tag-free as the product info is already printed on the fabric.
If you do not want your underwear to make you itch, the bamboo viscose is a reliable solution. The inseam is 3.5 inches, just enough as an undergarment for shorts and other thicker clothing.
- The heavy-duty waistband is non-binding with just enough elasticity that lasts.
- The leg-opening does not ride up even if you move heavily.
- The range size is broad (28” for small and up to 46” for XXL).
- Comes in a 4-pack with assorted colors.
- The fit is standard American-size.
- The waistband is thicker and may fold after prolonged use.
4. ExOfficio Men’s Give-n-go Boxer Shorts Single Pack
No matter what size you are, the ExOfficio Men’s Give-n-go Boxer Shorts will keep you covered any time of the day (or night). The boxer shorts have loose-fitting, so you will feel more comfortable without the squeezing effect of tight-fitting underwear. This undie is 94% nylon and 6% Lycra spandex.
This underwear has an elastic closure with a sewn-on elastic waistband (with ExOfficio iconic logo). The undergarment’s mesh fabric is breathable, quick-drying, and reduces odor despite prolonged use every day. Its moisture-wicking property keeps you dry and refreshes all day.
The Give-n-go Boxer comes in a dozen light and dark colors to suit your lifestyle and preference. The durable but soft fabric lasts longer than non-mesh cloth that will serve you better in the long run.
- Great for sleeping with this underwear for comfort.
- The mesh fabric is thin enough to make it feels like a second skin.
- Ideal when you are frequently outdoors traveling or hiking.
- Easy to dry so you wash, go, and pack minimally.
- One of the priciest boxer shorts on our list as it comes in a single pack.
- No open fly and pouch but with a gusset.
5. CLEVEDAUR Men’s Underwear 6 Inches Micro Modal Men’s Boxer Briefs
The handsome look of the CLEVEDAUR Micro Modal Men’s Boxer Briefs is not only a jock itch protector, but it also provides more comfort. The boxer brief is so gentle to the body; you will not feel like wearing one. The CLEVEDAUR boxer is 92% Lenzing micro modal and 8% spandex.
A micro modal fabric is usually from a renewably-grown beechwood tree that is spun into a fine fabric as soft as silk with the breathability of the cotton. The fabric is lightweight and smooth to the skin and providing you moisture-wicking underwear that will not smell. Your genitals will be kept dry and fresh all day.
The underwear is not only for outside use, you can wear it anytime and anywhere you like, even at home, at work, and during an intense workout. The tag-less boxer will not chaff even under heavy movement. It does not have side and back seams. The inseam is six inches long.
- The crotch is wide enough (3 1/8” width) to support a hardly erect package.
- The functional fly offers ease of bathroom use.
- The 3D pouch design is a breakthrough in men’s underwear.
- The boxer comes in a pack of three with assorted dark colors.
- No light colors available.
- Will shrink and wrinkle in a hot water wash.
6. ExOfficio Give-n-go Boxer Brief
The ExOfficio Give-n-go Boxer Brief is similar to the ExOfficio Men’s Give-n-go Boxer Shorts in such a way that they both have soft and durable mesh fabric. Both are also ideal for traveling and other similar qualities. However, the ExOfficio Boxer Brief has a longer inseam (6 inches) and more available colors. The boxer brief comes in a single pack.
The brief is 94% nylon and 6% spandex that have an elastic closure. This underwear is lightweight and has a moisture-wicking property that keeps you dry and cool all day long. The breathable mesh fabric is odor-resistant that provides all-day freshness even if you are on exercise.
The waistband is thick enough to support the groin even if you have erections. The band is sewn on with the evocative ExOfficio logo. The undergarment is tag-less, which is essentially sweat-proof, and has anti-microbial properties.
- You can sleep comfortably wearing only these underwear.
- The waistband has enough stretch that retains shape.
- The lightweight underwear is quick-drying and ideal for packing less.
- It prevents jock itch for sensitive skin.
- Wash on a gentle cycle with cold water.
- Hang to dry.
Best Underwear For Jock Itch – Buying Guide
Men’s underwear, similar to those of women’s, is not only an article of clothing: they are built primarily to protect the wearer from unhealthy conditions, like the pesky jock itch. So, before you buy underwear for jock itch, consider these facts:
1. A fabric that cools
Fungal infection on the groin is also caused by skin allergy to clothing that itches at first then resulting in rashes. To avoid this to happen to you, pick underwear that has a fabric that cools your genitals even if you sweat so much.
2. Keeps you dry
The cooling effect of the breathable fabric results in drier skin that will not promote fungal infection. Another cause of itching and burning sensation in the genitals is the presence of sweat and moisture that are trap in the underwear. So, choose underwear that will keep you dry longer and without skin irritants.
3. Maintains genital support
Men’s underwear has a functional fly where you can insert your package when peeing without taking down the whole undergarment. There is also a double pouch that gives more room to the penis and testicles to keep them separated from the rest of your body.
Some people believed that keeping your testicles away from body temperature keeps the sperm protected. So, if you want to become a father someday or increase your tribe, pick underwear that has a pouch to isolate your genitals. You can even find some model that make your bulge look bigger.
4. Low concentration of cotton
Cotton is a natural fiber that is gentle to your skin. It is also more breathable and comfortable. However, pure cotton underwear is not recommended as this material absorbs moisture but does not dry up as quickly as nylon and polyester.
So, better pick underwear with low cotton concentration or in combination with other materials (such as spandex, Lycra, modal, nylon, or polyester). But it is still recommended that you change underwear once it is soaked in sweat after working out or playing outdoors.
What Is Jock Itch?
Jock itch, or tinea cruris, is a skin infection in the groin area caused by fungi (a type of ringworm). Jock itch is most prevalent in men than women and is highly contagious. This fungus lives naturally in the skin, hair, or nails, but multiply rapidly that it can catch up with other bacteria that keep your skin healthy.
Once that fungus takes over, the resulting infection may cause a scaly red rash, which can itch and burn the skin. One of the most compelling reasons why you can easily get jock itch is wearing underwear that is too tight while you are very active in movements (such as exercises and other leisure activities).
The trapped moisture and sweat will eventually result in fungal infection if not addressed sooner. This problem is common in male athletes where it got its name.
Jock Itch Prevention
Here are some of the most effective ways in preventing jock itch aside from wearing the right underwear:
1. Take a bath daily
Taking a bath or shower daily (especially during hot days) and after a workout or playing sports will keep your groin area clean and free from unwanted fungi. If you cannot take a bath during freezing weather: change your underwear at least once a day.
2. Stay cool & dry
After taking a bath or shower, make sure that your groin area, the butt, and the inner thighs are pat dry with a clean towel. You can also use antifungal powder but ask your doctor first about this.
Jock itch is contagious, meaning; you can also get it from someone who has it by sharing personal things. Personal things may include a comb, underwear, a towel, etc. So, you better abstain from borrowing or lending personal articles or clothing.
4. Avoid wearing tight clothing & underwear
Close-fitting underwear can chafe your skin and will not keep you dry. Once the moisture is trapped, you can feel irritated and scratching is inevitable.
Scratching can make your skin red and may result in small wounds. The wounds are a great breeding ground for fungus. The best to wear is a boxer brief or boxer shorts.
5. Prevent athlete’s foot or treat it
Athlete’s foot infection is similar to jock itch. If you have it, prevent it from spreading to the groin. You can dry first your groin before drying your feet after a shower.
Additionally, if you are going to moist public areas, such as a gym shower or bathroom, wear sandals to protect you from an athlete’s foot.
Jock Itch Treatment
Jock itch is treatable at home, but when it becomes serious, it is better to consult a dermatologist. However, if you do not treat it sooner, it may become unbearable, and could last for months. You can buy antifungal medicine (in powder, cream, or spray) over-the-counter. Here’s what you can do at home to treat jock itch:
- Wash the affected area and dry with a clean cloth or towel.
- Do not use the same towel or cloth for the rest of your body as you may spread the fungus.
- Read the instructions on the antifungal medicine carefully and apply it to the affected areas.
- Use the medicine as long as you have the infection. If you wear briefs, try to wear boxers while you are on medication. For outerwear, use loose-fitting clothing.
1. Does tight underwear cause jock itch?
According to medical experts, wearing tight underwear is one of the causes of jock itch. But it does not mean that by just wearing tight briefs you will get jock itch immediately. Proper hygiene is also one of the ways to avoid it.
Since jock itch is mainly caused by a fungal infection that thrives in moist and damp surroundings, keep your underwear dry and clean.
2. Does not wearing underwear cause jock itch?
Going ‘commando’ (that is, not wearing underwear) does not assure you that you will not get jock itch. But most doctors agree that whether you wear underwear or not, the possibility of chafing the penis and scrotum against clothing is high. The chafing may lead to irritation and consequently infection.
3. What can kill jock itch?
Most store-bought topical antifungals can kill jock itch infections. For cheaper medications, doctors usually prescribed topical azole antifungals, which include clotrimazole, and oxiconazole. The treatment may last two to four weeks with twice a day administration.
But if you want quick results, you may spend quite a sum. Some doctors may prescribe ciclopirox, which is highly effective in treating fungal infections in a short time.
4. What should I wear if I have jock itch?
If you already have jock itch, avoid wearing tight clothing (such as pants, jeans, and tights), and underwear. Instead, wear loose-fitting cotton clothing and wash them immediately after every wear.
5. What happens if the jock itch goes untreated?
If remain untreated, you can transmit jock itch to others, especially when you share towel, swimwear, and through the skin and sexual contacts.
Now that you know what to wear if you have a fungal infection in the groin region, it will point us to the best underwear for jock itch. We think that the Fruit of the Loom Men’s Breathable Underwear eliminates the possibility of having jock itch.
The Tri-Cool Technology, mesh fabric, and low concentration of cotton make this underwear ideal for preventing jock itch. And hey! The price is affordable! And if you have outstanding features down there, take a look at our best underwear for big dicks.